PLACES IN HISTORY Significant Family Homes isionary, pioneer, businessman, phi-lanthropist, founder. . . Perry Hannah is known to history as the father of Traverse City. Perry Hannah was born September 22, 1824. One of Traverse City’s earliest settlers and most noted citizens, he was a lumber baron who developed the town into what it has become today. In 1851, along with A. Tracy Lay and James Morgan, he organized Hannah Lay and Company, and began logging operations in the Grand Traverse region. The company became one of the largest of its kind in the Midwest. Perry Hannah was 70 years old when he built his retirement home on Sixth Street. The building currently houses the Reynolds Johnkoff Funeral Home. From mansion to funeral home, the structure remains stately. Designed by W.G. Robinson from Grand Rapids, the house is a combination of Queen Anne and French Chateaux in style with other elements as well. Started in 1891 and completed in 1893, the house was built by 30-60 carpenters, two master carpenters, masons, and laborers, all cre-ated by hand with man-made tools. There was no electricity then. There are 40 rooms on four full floors with 3500 square feet on each floor. There are ten fireplaces—six on the main floor and four on the second floor—all hand carved in Belgium and reassembled in Traverse City. Eight have handmade Venetian tiles. The home was heated with coal originally and features steam radiators throughout the home. Today the home V Advent Worship Early Service in the Chapel at 8:15 am Upbeat & Casual Service at 9 am Traditional Service with Organ & Choir at 11 am Toys for Tots gathering of gifts Sundays, December 3-17 Christmas Eve Worship Sunday, December 24 Children’s Services at 11:00 am & 5:00 pm Services of Candlelight and Carols at 7:00 & 9:00 pm is heated with gas. Perry, being a lumber baron, used many different types of wood in the home including cherry, birch, beech, birdseye maple, curly maple, oak, dark oak, and walnut. The only non-native wood is the Brazilian mahogany in the former dining roomed today called the Mahogany Room. More information about this amazing home may be found in the book Perry Hannah’s Gifts Then and Now by Peg Jonkhoff and Fred Hoisington. The second edition book provides a tour like none other in terms of complete factual details and photographs. Visit www.perryhannah.com for more. tccentralumc.org 222 S. Cass Street Traverse City, MI 49684 231-946-5191 exploring faith & spirituality through worship Old Town Playhouse E December 1 st -16 th Jan. 19 th -Feb. 3 rd lk Rapids District Library is housed in what is known as “The Island House,” located on a small island almost 5 acres in size overlooking the Village Marina and Grand Traverse Bay. The house was built in 1865 by Edwin S Noble, a local businessman, when he returned to Elk Rapids from the Civil War. The island was later named “The Isle of Pines” because of all the trees he had planted. A turn-of-the-century brochure offering the home for sale describes it having a vegetable and wood cellar, furnace room, laundry room, and four standing tubs. There was one laundry stove, two wood burning fireplaces, and one large double oven range. Hot and cold water could be found in the kitchen suite, china closet, bathrooms, and the four laundry tubs. Bathrooms contained porcelain bathtubs and closets with the newest improvements: marble slab and basin with nickel fixtures. The island rose 25 feet above the level of the river, and the house, sitting on this high ground, measured 106 feet on the south side. ‘The Laughs Abound This Season’ 231.947.2210 oldtownplayhouse.com 20 • Families First Monthly • December 2017/January 201 8 While the social atmosphere of the island may not have been high society, it was a step above many other homes in Elk Rapids. Fine and exotic foods were imported. Good man-ners and dressing for dinner were required. The servants handled all the maintenance and meals so Natalie (Edwin and Cora’s daughter) never saw the kitchen. In her early years she enjoyed a comfortable existence. There were music les-sons, horses, and private schooling for the boys. It changed ownership several times over the years, until it was donated to the village in 1948 by the last owner, Katherine Dexter McCormick. The Elk Rapids Library moved into the Island House in 1949. Extensive reno-vations have been made in recent years, taking great care to preserve the character of the house and grounds. On April 26, 1979, the Village of Elk Rapids was notified by the Michigan Historical Commission that the “Isle of Pines” had been listed in the State Register of Historic Sites. Visit www.elkrapidslibrary.org for more infor-mation.